The availability of affordable solar panels in the Philippines is an indication that Filipinos are slowly embracing what we call the ‘sustainable lifestyle’. Sustainable living refers to a healthy living that uses fewer natural resources and reduces an individual’s carbon footprint to the environment. Sustainable living may include consuming less energy, saving water, eliminating toxic products at home, practicing the 3 R’s (reducing, reusing, and recycling), eating and growing organic food, and practicing minimalism, among others. Such sustainable habits can give a quality life not only to us but for the future generation as well.
If you haven’t considered joining this movement already, here are a few of the many benefits of going green to help you decide. Read on and learn the advantages of living a sustainable life.
One of the obvious benefits of going green is that it will actually help you save money. It’s really not that costly, as most people may think! Practice the green habits enumerated below to that help save the environment and your financial assets as well.
- Switch to solar panels. These will benefit you in the long run.
- If solar panels are not your choice, opt for compact fluorescent light (CFL) or light-emitting diode (LED) bulb. These types of bulb consume less energy compared to their counterparts.
- Replace some of your household items with energy-efficient appliances and solar-powered gadgets.
- Unplug home appliances, such as TV, computer, and air conditioner when not in use. This green habit will definitely reduce your utility bills.
- Start composting. This will prevent you from spending money when buying commercial fertilizer. This will also reduce the trash you send in the landfill.
A Healthier Life
Switching to sustainable lifestyle will definitely provide you a healthier life. Here are some green habits that promote a healthier and sustainable life.
- Opt for organic food. Organically grown food does not have any toxic chemicals in it, making it a healthier choice compared to conventionally grown food. Grow them yourself if the ones in grocery stores are too expensive.
- Ditch toxic products and start using natural cleaners and beauty products. Doing this will lessen your exposure to various toxic chemicals found in commercial products that are harmful to your health.
- When buying a certain home supplies, choose product that packaged in glass or bottle containers rather than the plastic ones. Many types of plastic have been shown to have toxic chemicals that are risky to human’s health.
- Opt for walking or biking to lessen the use of your vehicle. Such practice will reduce the air pollution and will give you a clean and clear air to breathe.
A Sustainable World
All the mentioned sustainable habits will definitely result to the most important benefit of going green—having a sustainable world. A sustainable world will have improved quality of air and water, less solid waste, decrease in carbon footprint, reduced fossil fuel dependency, the right amount of food supply for everyone, well-maintained natural resources, a balanced ecosystem, and a rich biodiversity, among others.
These are only a few of the many benefits of going green. As a citizen, it is important that we do our part in conserving and protecting our Mother Earth every day. After all, we are the ones who will ultimately benefit from it.